The West Shore Regional Police would like to offer the following tips to ensure you have a happy and safe 2013 Holiday Season!
* Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. (Knowing who and what is around you will help you avoid being caught unaware. It also allows you time to react if something does appear suspicious.)
* Display confidence (Criminals choose the victim who looks like the easiest target. That choice is partially based on their perception about your abilities to react to an attack.)
* Trust your instincts ( If you have an intuitive feeling something is wrong or suspicious, react immediately and take action to reduce your risk of becoming a victim.)
* Carry only what you need (Extra cash, credit cards, checks, jewelry and other items should be left at home — not in your vehicle. Keep your purse in front and close to your body. Men should keep their wallets in their front pocket.)
* Don’t be overburdened with packages (Carrying several shopping bags makes you look vulnerable. If a store cannot hold your merchandise until you finish shopping, place all purchases in the trunk of your car.)
* Shop with others ( The chance of being victimized drop dramatically when you are with a companion.)
* Plan ahead ( Have your keys in hand when walking to your vehicle and use the alarm or alert button to signal if something is wrong.)
Remember, if you feel uncomfortable walking to your vehicle, most malls will provide a security escort.
The West Shore Regional Police Department is always available for assistance if needed!